Owyhee Irrigation District (OID) has supplied irrigation water to lands in Malheur County including Adrian, Nyssa, and Ontario, Oregon since 1932. The district was formed to supply agricultural water to the entire Owyhee Project and today remains the largest irrigation district in Eastern Oregon.
Be a part of an important contributor to the success and livelihood of the region by joining our team!
Current Available Positions:
During the water season (April-October), the Ditch Rider position is responsible for delivering water to their area or “ride.” You will work closely with the District’s Water Master as well as its patrons. Work performed will involve ordering and delivering water, maintaining a good set of records, driving canal roadways, watching for problems, and reporting issues immediately. Removing all debris from the delivery system, keeping watch for gopher activity, and setting traps. During the off-season (November-March), Ditch Riders work on the maintenance crew. You will work with the Foremen to repair delivery systems, pour concrete, lay pipe, and complete outstanding projects.
Responsibilities, in no particular order, include, but are not limited to:
- Measure and record the amount of water being delivered each day.
- Drive ride daily and watch for any problems such as seepage, leaks, and gopher holes
- Remove all weeds and trash from canals, laterals, and drains.
- Report noxious weeds, aquatic growth, and other maintenance work needed.
- Prepare reports in a timely manner.
- Keep accurate records and forms.
- Follow safety procedures and keep a safe work environment.
- Maintain tools, equipment, and vehicle.
- Operate hand and power tools and a two-way radio.
- Practice effective time management techniques.
- Other related duties and responsibilities as required.
Owyhee Irrigation District is an equal opportunity employer:
We adhere to a policy of making employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, or disability. This includes Veterans, Lesbians, Homosexuals, Bisexuals, Transgender, and LGBT+. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with the Owyhee Irrigation District depends solely on your qualifications.
- Both the employee and the Owyhee Irrigation District may end the employment relationship at any time, without specified notice or reason. If employed, do understand that the Company may unilaterally change or revise their benefits, policies and procedures and such changes may include reduction in benefits.
- Further understand that it is the policy of the Company to employ all employees on an “at will” basis unless a written employment contract designates an employment period for a specified term. Notwithstanding this policy, the Company may hire an employee on a probationary basis for a period of time. During this probationary period, the employee shall be paid the agreed upon salary or hourly rate, but shall not be entitled to receive any other benefits paid or provided by the Company.